Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Shift Your Focus and Take Back the Controls!

In the wake of all things political this week, from the healthcare debates to what having a new NJ Governor means for the rest of the nation, I feel like I need a breather from distinguishing promises and ideals from propaganda babble.

I try not to get into the habit of watching local news twice a day because I notice I feel depressed more often than informed. Unfortunately, aside from the scattered human interest stories that allow the stone-faced anchors to crack a smile once in a while, it seems bad news sells more airtime - like trying to take one's eyes off of a train wreck. I guess it's just human nature to be attracted to all things sinister and creepy; I'd venture that we're all guilty of giving more attention to the negative than the positive at one time or another.

With the presence of so many forces working against my attempts at maintaining a cheerful outlook, I feel the need to center myself and feel in control of at least one part of my life – and consequently my happiness. For me, that outlet has always come in the form of a workout. Aside from the physical health benefits of exercise (which are IMMENSE), and the endorphin rush that causes a mood lift in the afterglow, my workout time is one of the only intervals during the day where I decide what I’ll do, how hard I’m going to work, and how much of myself I’m going to devote to….MYSELF!

It can be really hard to start the ball rolling though, especially if you don’t think you have time to carve out a workout schedule in your busy day/week.

One really great tool that I have found useful and recommended to others is the Wii Fit
and the Wii Fit Plus.

These are more than just video games. They utilize modern media formats to inspire an age-old practice of relieving stress, improving focus and maintaining a generally better lifestyle. With the prevalence of video and television in our everyday lives, Nintendo is taking steps to give society what it doesn’t even realize it craves – exercise. Instead of sitting on the couch playing first-person shooters all day (which, don’t get me wrong, definitely have their place in our hearts), now individuals and families alike can have an interactive experience, get their play time in, and better themselves at the same time. There is even a multiplayer option for people to enjoy this experience in the same room! (Pardon my sarcasm but really, does the entire family flee to separate corners of the house the second dinner is over in YOUR world?!)

Read my full review here.

Gaming might not be for everyone, and I’m not advocating that it should fully replace an existing regimen. I’m a big fan of changing your routine no matter what you're doing for exercise.... which the Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus also allow for….hmm, maybe I AM a bigger fan than I thought….

But if your workout routine is in a slump and you need to get in the groove with OUT feeling like you’re taking on yet another chore, or if you have those lazy moments of low energy followed by guilt for not taking initiative, the Wii Fit
and the Wii Fit Plus could be the answer you’re looking for.

And now, I have to get back to my local news.... hey, Rome wasn't built in a day you know, and I already did my workout! I'm feeling more cheerful already.....

Find the review here, and more at www.mekimare.com

No comments:

Post a Comment